Saturday, October 25, 2008

Numero Uno

(Originally published February 13, 2008)

Technically, I live with a Golden Retriever -- but two years ago I felt as though I was also living with Beagles. That's because 2006 was the year I wrote Beagles For Dummies, an enterprise that required me to know as much as possible about the typical Snoopy-dog. In the process, I developed a true affection for these loving, plucky, independent little hounds.

So naturally I was very pleased late last night when Uno the Beagle, known more formally as Ch K-Run's Park Me in First, bested two Poodles, a Weimaraner, an Akita, an Australian Shepherd, and a Sealyham Terrier to win Best in Show at the Westminster Kennel Club. For his part, Uno seemed pretty pleased, too. The roar of approval from the crowd -- who gave Uno a standing ovation when he was chosen -- drowned out the sounds of any individual canine vocalizing. But from the look of his pursed lips and slightly lifted head, Uno was clearly expressing his opinion about his victory in true Beagle fashion.

Here's a link to a picture of the winner:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2008/results/bis/

And pardon the commercial interruption, but here's a link to the spot on my website where you can buy Beagles For Dummies at a 15 percent discount:

http://www.susanmc.com/books.htm

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

No comments: