Saturday, October 25, 2008

Proven icebreaker

(Originally published June 9, 2008)

I am not the most social person in the world. Schmoozing does not come easily to me. At a party, I have trouble coming up with things to talk about; I mainly try to listen and hope I say something reasonably intelligent in response.

But ever since I started writing about dogs, my schmoozing skills have improved considerably. That's because these days, family dogs almost invariably creep into party conversation. I'll have something helpful to say (and I am *not* showing off, I swear), someone else will respond with interest, and the conversation gets into a whole new gear. Then someone will ask "how do you know that?" and I'll say that I write about dogs -- if my wonderfully supportive husband and daughter don't do it first.

One more way our canine companions can help us ...

No comments: